|Your dog may be missing the kids when they head back to school!|
- The dog may miss the kids
- He may worry that the kids won't come back
- He may get bored without the kids at home to play with
- A dog may even try to get out of the house or yard so he can "look for" the missing kids
- He knows something's different but doesn't understand what it is. This may make him anxious.
What can you do to ease the Back To School transition for your dog?
Although Back To School time can be busy and hectic, try to spend more time with your dog as the kids head back to school.
Give your dog a new toy or something else he loves, to keep him occupied as the kids leave the house in the morning. A puzzle toy or other interactive toy is a great distraction, and very mentally stimulating.
|A nice long hike or walk will take your dog's mind off the kids being gone!|
In the first week or two of school keep a close eye on your dog to see if he's exhibiting anxiety or boredom, or developing any negative habits following the transition. If you're lucky enough to be a stay at home parent and you have the time, consider trying a fun new activity with your dog. Discover a new walking or hiking trail, sign up for agility classes, or even take some Doga (doggie yoga) classes together!
Don't let your Furkids get lost in the shuffle once the insanity of Back to School starts!
|Hey, where'd everybody go??|
Have you experienced your dog's behavior changing when Back To School starts? Please leave a comment and tell us about it. We LOVE hearing from you!